Down to content

Up to

TS and Benefits

Sometimes people with TS may need support in navigating certain areas in their lives. The following information discusses different social spheres and what support is available.

The nature of TS can mean that sometimes it is difficult to work regular hours. Whether or not you consider your TS to be a disability, there are benefits available that can help to pay the bills.

Please note that Tourettes Action does not specialise in benefits and is unable to assist with individuals’ cases or help fill in claim forms. We have put together a list of benefits which people with TS may be entitled to and useful organisations to contact.

Download the Factsheet - TS & Benefits


Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) can help with extra living costs if you have both:

  • a long term physical or mental health condition or disability
  • difficulty doing certain everyday tasks or getting around because of your condition

You can get PIP even if you’re working, have savings or are getting most other benefits.

Find out more about PIP here 


Support with applying for PIP

Benefits and Work are an organisation who offer a FREE PIP TEST to establish if you are eligible. This enables you to practice at your own pace and understand the sort of questions you'll be asked. This will help you:

  • Be more confident about the forms and prepare for your assessment
  • Get clear understanding about what you need to mention in your assessment
  • Get an idea of whether you'll qualify for benefit, and at what level, when you do the assessment for real

Another useful resource is What is the PIP test from charity Turn2Us, who provide practical help to people who are struggling financially. 

Download our guide to claiming PIP


Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

You can apply for Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) if you have a disability or health condition that affects how much you can work.

ESA gives you:

  • money to help with living costs if you’re unable to work
  • support to get back into work if you’re able to

You can apply if you’re employed, self-employed or unemployed and are under state pension age.

Find out more about ESA here


Support with applying for ESA

Charity Turn2Us offer advice on how to make a claim for ESA and explain the criteria for eligibility. The Citizens Advice Bureau also offer information about filling in the application form, preparing for your medical assesment and appealing a decision if it doesn't go in your favour.